Monday, August 20, 2012

Friendship Jar DIY Cheap but Chic Gift

I made a friendship jar for each of my friends who had surgery last year.  I had maybe $1.50 in the entire gift, but it was a hit with each of my friends as well as their families.  I was told by one of the family members that I was the most thoughtful person she had ever met.  That made me feel good. 

I enjoy giving gifts.  I always have.  Now that money is tight, I have to think outside of the box.  This can def be a good thing because instead of picking up something from the store to give to someone, 9 times out of 10 I'm gonna make it.  I can honestly say that every handmade gift I have ever given has been well-received.  I think the reason is the recipient knows more thought was put into other than shelling out a few bucks.

Anyway, here you will see original instructions and where I got the idea from.  I am going to post the directions to their original concept, but I'm going to tell you have I modified to fit my situation.

Both of my friends had gastric bypass surgery.  Having had the surgery myself in 2005, I know how much their lives are going to change.  With that being said, on each slip of paper I included in their jars I wrote a positive mantra that they could look forward to.  .
Here are some examples:
  • Eating to Live, Not Living to Eat
  • Finding your size at thrift stores.
  • NOT paying more for your clothing just b/c you can afford that extra cheeseburger!
  • Fitting comfortably in a booth.
  • Not checking the weight limit on everything you buy, stand on, sit on, etc.
There were many more that only obese or formerly obese people will get!  Anyway, each of my friends took the jar to the hospital to read the days after surgery when they were in pain.  They both told me that it helped them to get through the worst of it.  :)

Here's their original.
Friendship JarMaterials:
  • Decorative Jar with wide mouth I got mine @ Dollar Tree
  • Ribbon or other embellishment
  • Handwritten or computer generated positive words on slips of paper  I used small pieces of cardstock and decorated them with stickers
  • Paper  See above
  • Pen or Computer with printer  For above
  • Scissors or Fiskars Personal Trimmer  I used the scissors that cut in the cutesy patterns-$1 each!
Instructions:
  1. You can find fun jars at thrift shops and garage sales, you just want a wide mouth jar so it’s easy to put your slips of paper in and out of the jar. You can tie ribbon or embellish the jar with your favorites.
     
  2. Handwritten messages: Cut slips of paper with scissors or personal trimmer. You can use one color of paper or use several, personalize this to the event or person getting the Friendship Jar. Write out positive words or statements. For example if this is for a special aunt you could write out all the things you love about her from her pretty smile to her fabulous chocolate chip cookies. Fold up the slips of paper and place in jar. I always recommend handwritten notes because the message and words just seem more unique written by you!
     
  3. Computer generated messages: This is easy and quick, and if you are a neat freak using a computer will make you happier. Have fun and play with fonts and font size! Write out positive messages and words like described in Step 2. Print. Using your scissors or personal trimmer cut into slips of paper, fold, and place in jar!
Read more at http://www.favecrafts.com/Gifts-in-a-Jar/Friendship-Jar/ml/1#46aCRl3v0PRSDGjL.99
Friendship Jar - Used from Favecrafts.com                                                                      




No comments:

Post a Comment