Monday, January 10, 2011

AWESOME Recipe: Sausage & Stuffing Criss-Cross Pastry

What a cold, yucky day!  Here in NC we have snow and ice...ugh!  I do want to start by remembering my cousin, Annette.  Friends and family said "good bye, for now" to her today.  We will meet again on the other side.

As you know, I've been living off my pantry and fridge/freezer for a little over a week now.  In the process, I have tried to be creative with recipes to use up things I have.  I found a WINNER!  I googled Puff Pastry and was given a sausage recipe.  Oh. My. Gosh!  It made me mad that I had eaten a BIG salad while the pastry thingie was cooking because I only had room for 2-3 bites!  My niece ate a big ole' piece and hubby ate 1.5 pieces and went back for seconds.  It ROCKED!  His words were, "I will definitely be asking for this again."  The best part:  EASY!!

I did make a few substitutions because of what I had on hand so I will tell you within the recipe what they were.  Also, a fresh jalapeno, finely chopped would be bangin' in this!

Sausage & Stuffing Criss-Cross Pastry
Ingredients
1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed * I used both sheets
2 eggs
1 tablespoon water
1/2 pound bulk pork sausage  * I used 1 roll of Paula Dean Sausage (.99 on sale a while back)
1 cup Pepperidge Farm® Herb Seasoned Stuffing
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)  *I had a purple onion, so that's what I used
1 cup chopped mushroom (about 3 ounces)  *did not have so I omitted...don't think it needed it at all!
Directions
Heat the oven to 375°F.  Beat 1 egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.

Mix the sausage, stuffing, remaining egg, onion and mushrooms in a large bowl.

Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.  Cut slits 1-inch apart from the outer edge to the fold mark on each side of the pastry sheet.  Spoon the sausage mixture down the center of the pastry. Starting at one end, fold the pastry strips over the sausage mixture, alternating sides, to cover the sausage mixture. Place the pastry onto a baking sheet.  Brush the pastry with the egg mixture.

Bake for 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the sausage is cooked through.  Let the pastry cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

**Mine ended up making 2 rolls since I had extra sausage...we ate 1 whole one (3 of us...HUNGRY people) and have a whole one left. I'm one of those weird people who pretty much remembers how much I pay for almost everything.  My husband just asked how much dinner cost...based on what I paid for the ingredients when I purchased them, BOTH rolls came out to be around $3.40.  That is 2 meals for 3 people.  That's .57 per meal per person!  :)  I'll take it!

My husband is emailing me 2 pics that I took from his phone because I have a POC phone!  It takes FOREVER to get then though.  I will add them as soon as I receive them in email.  
Trying to stay warm,

Joy 
                                                               Sorry for the bad pic...love the camera phone!  Not!

No comments:

Post a Comment